Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A bed for baby and me

Today we went to Big Lots to pick up the rest of the bed for Molly and me. I’ve grown tired of sleeping near the floor and was looking forward to a good night’s sleep somewhere above 5 inches from the ground. Molly had been pining for a buggy stroller she had seen when we picked up the mattress part of the bed and as we had promised her to get the stroller when we picked up the bed, she’d began counting the days down until mom got paid again.

Ironically, it was the same gentleman that had helped us choose the mattress we had bought the last time we were there and he had remembered us well. He asked if we had measured the throughway to accommodate the box spring to help us decide if we needed a split boxed spring set or a regular set. Hoping to save money – the split boxed spring was more expensive – I had Kevin measure the area we had to pass through; a task I was too lazy to undertake and boy am I paying for it now!

While waiting for Kevin to bring up the truck, the gentleman asked me why the height from the floor was so important to me. I sheepishly admitted that I needed the under bed storage space for my yarn stash. He laughed hysterically. Apparently, his wife uses the under the bed area to store her 100+ pairs of shoes.

Personally, I’ve never been much of a shoe hound. I’ve simply found no good reason to own more shoes than you can wear in a lifetime. Off the top of my head, I think I have 6 pairs of shoes; 1 pair of sneakers, 2 pair of sandals, 1 pair of pumps, 1 pair of boots and a pair of flip flops for those rare occasions when I get a pedicure. What’s the deal with shoes?

I suppose those things that you spend your money on are those most important to you. For some it may be shoes – for me – well, I guess it’s yarn and power tools. I never claimed to be normal.

No comments: